Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A week of slow cooking // Non-mushy recipes


Hi friends! Danielle here.


Let's talk slow-cooking.

Mushy. Bland. Boring. 

These are words I do not want to use when describing what I've made in the slow cooker.

And yet, I've made a few recipes that were just that. Was it my fault? I don't know, but I honestly just think that there are a lot of slow cooker recipes that turn into what I'd call slow-cooker-sameness. You may have made a few recipes like that, too! Hey, it happens to all of us.

I'm here to tell you that it doesn't have to be that way! There are slow cooker recipes that are actually delicious and - dare I say - fresh!

It honestly just takes a little trial and error.

A couple weeks ago, I chose a few recipes that looked interesting, and I'm happy to say, they're all worth posting! Each recipe did require a bit of prep (browning meat, sautéing onions, etc.), so keep that in mind when you're planning your recipes.

Recipe 1: Real Simple's Slow Cooker Pork-Stuffed Cabbage.

Not only did I like the flavors in this recipe, I also loved the texture of the cabbage - it softens, naturally, but sill maintains some firmness.





Recipe 2: Cooking Classy's Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup

I love a good broccoli cheese soup, and this one is great! It's also great for leftovers (I actually froze quite a large portion to enjoy on a rainy day).





I saved the best for last, y'all! 

These little sandwiches (as seen at the top of this post) were excellent! It was requested that next time, I double the recipe so that we have leftovers!

One thing I might try to do differently next time is to thicken the au jus a bit. It had a nice flavor, but I think it could've benefitted from a little stove top reduction (and possibly a bit of added cornstarch).

Also, this would be a great one to freeze individually so that you could grab a couple for a quick (and delicious!) lunch.



Enjoy! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment