Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Snack time // A simple smoothie recipe

Danielle here.

My people, let's talk snacks.

Actually, let's back up and just talk babies and food.

You see, when Jett first started eating solid food shortly after he turned one, I could feed him most anything. Frozen mixed veggies? He'd gobble them up! Plain Greek yogurt? His fave!

Now, at three, I'm convinced he believes there are three food groups: Pizza, cheeseburgers and Lunchables.

Take, for instance, this super cute and (what I thought to be) super kid friendly snack I prepared recently:


Where did I go wrong? Or does this just happen? 

I have friends whose children will happily feast on kale chips and broccoli, but Jett is pretty adamant on his dislike of anything green.

I actually asked his pediatrician about this, and he assured me that Jett is a healthy, growing boy, and not to get too caught up in it. At least not until he's a little older. 

But in the midst of this food war we're in, I'm determined. 


I'm determined to sneak some green in here and there, and one way I have found to do so is through smoothies. Now, granted, he doesn't always drink his smoothie, but in the recent past, I have gotten him to.

Here's a super simple smoothie recipe I like to loosely follow:

1 cup almond milk (vanilla is good, but any almond / soy / coconut milk would work)
1 cup baby spinach
1 frozen banana, quartered
1/2 cup greek yogurt (or whatever kind of yogurt you have on hand)
Handful of berries (I like blueberries, but any berries are a great addition!)
Dash of cinnamon (I'm always amazed at how this adds such a nice flavor to the smoothie.)

I like to blend the almond milk and spinach first, in order to completely combine the spinach into the smoothie. Then I'll add the rest of the ingredients and blend until combined. 

The fun thing about smoothies, is that you can really add any / everything. Mangos are an excellent addition, as is a tablespoon of peanut butter. Just have fun with it!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment