Monday, March 16, 2015

Day trip // Juniper // Fassler Hall

Hey, y'all! Danielle here.

On Saturday, I experienced not one, but THREE new Tulsa-area spots! It was my sister's 30th birthday extravaganza, and an extravaganza it was!

Our first stop of the day was The Canebrake, which is a resort / restaurant / spa that's less than an hour drive from Tulsa.




Sound random? Well, it might be, but after my sister mentioned it, I noticed a rave review in Edible Tulsa, and the people over there seem to know there stuff! Also, it's nice to feel like you're "out of the city" even if it's just a teeny-tiny road trip.

The restaurant was great, and even better was that not only are the adults pampered (I'm talking champagne cocktails while tranquil spa-like tunes fill your ears), but the kids also are, with a special kids' menu.



I had the chicken club, and while it was good, I just kept thinking, "But where's the BACON?!". You don't forget the bacon, people.



If I could turn back time, I think I'd order what my sister's boyfriend enjoyed - the corned beef sandwich on soda bread, which was the special. We all enjoyed what we ordered, but he was especially thrilled.

After lunch, we had planned to enjoy the lovely outdoor area at Canebrake, as there are many trails and other activities that would've been fun, had it not been rainy. Instead, we enjoyed the comfy lounge area while my sister had her massage (which she said was also great!).

Later that evening, we met up with Linny and her friends at Juniper, which is a cozy little restaurant in the Blue Dome District in downtown Tulsa. I had heard wonderful things about Juniper, so I was quite excited to go!

And let me tell you folks, it did not disappoint. Atmosphere, food, service - All were A+. And the first-rate experience actually began with the reservation, as Linny said they were extra accommodating, asking if we'd need a high chair, or if there would be a birthday cake, and if we'd like them to help with cutting and serving of said cake!

Ryan and I split the pork belly for our first course, and it was obviously so good that I forgot to take a photo until we had already devoured half. This was truly one of those dishes were it's all chewing-"Mmmmmm"-ing-chewing-"Oooohhhh"-ing.



For my main, I enjoyed the gnocchi and Ryan the short ribs. Were were both extremely happy with our selections. The perfectly pillowy-yet-firm gnocchi was nestled in some yummy veggies that reminded me of spring (even though this was from the winter menu). And if that sounds too healthy, don't worry... The buttery sauce delivered just the right amount of decadence.



Oh! And I can't forget to mention that it was Pi Day! So they were serving complementary chocolate pie, which was just divine.

After dinner, we went next door to Fassler Hall, which was another place I had been wanting to check out. Fassler has a lot of cool going on... Part of it feels like a rustic beer hall in Austria, but then you hear "Uptown Funk" three times in a row and think, "Wait, we're not in Austria!"



All in all, it was a great evening! All three were great experiences and I think my sister had a most excellent birthday extravaganza!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment